Sunday, February 04, 2007

I need a hobby

Yes, something to while away my time; something to expend my excess chakra on; something to keep me occupied in a good manner; something that might, or might not need batteries; something to ensure that the foot I have recently taken to dangling out of the BTrain is safe and sound back in the train. Please pay attention. I use the term, "something"; not "someone".

I have concluded I self destruct. I like it that way, I think. What am I going on about?

Let's see, I had a most terrible weekend recently and I survived it none the worse for wear. But some of the things that happened in that weekend got me thinking (yes I do think, thank you very much!) and following internal/infernal arguments, discussions, assessments, mental discourse, wendawazimu, call it whatever you like, I have come to the conclusion that I have an inborn self destruct mechanism. That would be the only explanation for the type of jamaa I get drawn to (this be the point where you should mutter, "A dude! Figures!" and trot on to the next post).

I go for Bad Boys. And not regular Bad Boys ("Honey, I forgot it was your birthday/valentines?) but the Really Really Bad Boys with power foam ("Who are you again and where/when/how did we meet?"). The kind you introduce to your mum as the "neighbour" (why is it that mothers presume neighbours cannot be Potential Male Accessories (PMAs)?) when he emerges from the kitchen in his boxers and the sugar bowl.

But I digress. As I was saying, I have the knack to draw them in like flies too (which would make me what, poop?). Give me a nice guy who couldn't be sweeter and I don on the Pal-goggles. Chapter closed. This is who I am and because of it I will be knitting leg warmers from homegrown wool (landscaping will not be a necessity after all!) when I am 60 for my 16 kittens. Bah humbug! I realised that and I accept that. (I just haven't figured out how to break this bit of news to the Fockers et al...)

That settled, question is, why the lure of the RRBBs? Is it because of the tried, tested and failed theory of oh-I-want-to-be-the-one-to-change-them-into-settledownable-men? I sincerely do not think so. And I can say this because once they do change into settledownable I bail. Faster than you can say, "Quiiiiiick". Actually, I am never around for that part.

Which then leads me to my latest theory. I do it because I am self destructive. Think about it. With a nice guy, there is a high chance of getting sucked in, settling, getting comfy, falling in love and all that mish mash. And when it doesn't work out you need a new broom (long handle and bristles variety) to gather the shattered pieces. I will be forever tormenting myself wondering, "He was so perfect; what, when, why, where, how?" With an RRBB on the other hand, there's no room to get comfy. You know it, the RRBB knows it, the kombamwikos know it. It doesn't work out, if there's any attempt to work something out, and you move on with maisha muttering, "It figures...I knew it...It was just a matter of time". And that's what makes them attractive - I know hapa hakuna kutekwa nyara. RRBB is not going to make any effort and if that pisses me off in the short term (yes I will still get inexplicably pissed off even if the writing's tattoed on his forehead; sue me, my defense will be that I am a woman after all), in the long term I will be glad to see the last of him.

Lakini I have fikad etc with that theory. Could there be another one? At this point, I need to figure out is whether I want to change and if so, how do I go about it. You cannot force matters of the NaHu-...er...mhmmm..ahem!...the heart.

Filosofia ya Ichiena imeletwa na nini? I met Argh (And yes. I know! The disgust in AAAAaaaaaarghhhhhhh has shortened with time! Tsk tsk!). The inevitable happened just like I always knew it would and we had to breath air within 10 feet of each other for 3 hours. Oh, no mind, no drama. We (being Ichiena normal, Ichiena pissed, and Ichiena horny) were cordial, friendly, playfull even - considering the circumstances. But it took only the first hour for me to realise he still has sexy eyes, bloodshot and all, but still sexy (my RRBBs are somehow usually high achievers in their field (be it as a bank thief or as a watchman), medula finely tuned, bold (hakuna cha kufyeka compound kabla ya kufikia kichaka - they zone straight in) and invariably own shares in KBL owing to full mwenjoyos hence the bloodshot eyes). And the cutest smile. Eeeeeek! It hit me that I would not mind, nay, I was contemplating a repeat session - wtf!!! It could be that the (Ich2+Argh4)squared is really still there - ama I need to disembark this train. I kept muttering, "Heart Throb (yep, a new TDH PMA in the horizon, he after my own...), HT, HT, HT..." like a mantra. An hour longer and I would have had thumb firmly stuck in an orifice - any orifice - knees bent, and rocking. Sixty-one minutes longer and this post would have been about the repeat session. I chalk it down to the fact that all the blood in my system has taken an extended leave to Holland and it is yet to return. Oh, and it didn't matter that the new PMA epitomises RRBB even more than Argh ever will. Almost like being tempted with Tusker and mantaring, "Kumi Kumi, KK, KK, KK..."

Still, I am mightily pissed. At myself. I cannot, and should not, be getting up to DIY courtesy of Argh! Or anyone else for that matter. Hii mpaka iwe pruned here and now. Haki.

And Ichiena is always right.


Never Argue with a Woman

One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and reads her book.

Along comes a Game Warden in his boat. He pulls up alongside the woman and says, "Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?"

"Reading a book," she replies, (thinking, "Isn't that obvious?")

"You're in a Restricted Fishing Area," he informs her.

"I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading."

"Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault," says the woman.

"But I haven't even touched you," says the game warden.

"That's true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment."

"Have a nice day ma'am," and he left.

26 comments:

Princess said...

LOL at the woman in the fishing boat!!

Prousette said...

Are you interested in fishing as a hobby too? Just a proposition, as it would depend on your proximity to water bodies and the said water bodies having fish in them.

Too bad very few men have learned the lesson of never arguing with the she's.

Anonymous said...

i know irarely give good advice, but, have you tried drinking as a hobby?

Unyc said...

LMAO...watch out evry1, Ichiena is a nuclear bomb ready 2 explode, Then Aegeus will be catapulted under Ichiena's skirt...hehee...

Hobby, hobby...go 4 Salsa on Sunday, try archery(one of my fav)...or if u r creative tryin makin stuff 2 gv or sell 2 ur pals like bookmarks n all.

Half 'n' half said...

yes you need a hobby! and since you have become quiet good at aahhhhmmmm...... DIY how about some redecorating??? Or fishing?

bantutu said...

Eishh mammi, umewaka moto!! You need a zima-moto-activity to keep you bizzi on the Btrain....Ok. lessee aaah...YES!!
GET A CAT!!
Fishing boat mama=Klevva klevva mama...LMAO!

stackofstiffys said...

Yenyewe you need a hobby, but I can't help you with that. Nice post all the same and you should just send him (Aaargh) some burning flowers and he'll get the message and keep off.

Milonare said...

LOL

You lead an interesting life! Lakini mambo of thumb kwa any orifice na rocking is just plain nasty LOOOOL

Talk to Milo. Milo is the master of ma-hobbies...

Archer said...

Yes yes! I concur with Unyc. You should take up ARCHERy! Ku shoot mishale can be very relaxing!

Just my two bob thoughts: I think probably your self destructive behaviour might be sort of a defense mechanism to avoid falling too deep for someone then dealing with serious heartache when things end. You know, when your lives have become linked so intricately that moving on involves a painful process of unwinding and de-linking yourself from said person. We all go through that at some point in our lives.

egm said...

How about taking up violin? Or hiking? Actually hiking. The more energy intensive hobbies. That will just drain you pleasantly afterwards. Kwa kweli, you do need a hobby.

Made for a good Monday morning laugh!

Don_quixote said...

@Egm violin mad respect dude, do you know its the only instrument that is closest to the human voice the music of the violin that is.

@Ichiena hobbies are really good but the best ones are ones that you know nothing about so as it takes you time to learn, your mind is off other things, so archery would be the best or fishing according to me any ways.

Anonymous said...

LOL.
"you are mad" ...

Interestingly enough, I read your post after scanning a few CVs for interview candidates, and came across someone who'd indicated 'marital arts' as a hobby ... oops.
Love the retort from the smart-ass lady at the end of your post.
Do have a great week.

Anonymous said...

That storo cracked me up!
As for you and your bad boys, ebu kaa with them and leave us nice guys alone!
Mamas like you just disturb our heads!
As for hobbies I recommend going to the gym.

Anonymous said...

Unyc, nimekuwekea wanted! I will be back!

gishungwa said...

I think one of the hobbies should be a support group since i think that we have alot of issues in common. So a tub of ice cream each and other delicacies....

Ichiena said...

@Princess: yeah! Kwanza, it made me consider fishing as a hobby too - lakini back home it aint as simple. Ati you catch a fish and you are told to return it to the water because it's Ugandan! And Ugandans are not supposed to fish Kenyan samaki! I gave up!

@Prou: Fish or tadpoles? LOL. Hebu show me those few men who have learnt I show you mamas in drag!

@Bomseh: 8 glasses of water a day without fail (terrible first days mpaka i had my own key cut for the stinky room in the office)

@Unyc: Kwanza the way I like going ngothaless...Aegeus had better pray landscaping session was veeeery recent.
Salsa, did that. Archery, my eyesight's so nasty I'll probably put in the arrow backwards. Bookmarks, done that.

@NusuNusu: Redecorating, cleared that recen-er...I presume we are talking about internal home redecorations and not landscaping?

@Ban2-2: I already have one - pussy that is (wink, wink) and it keeps me busy too...hehehe

@Stack: I dont want to stay away! That's the eeek part. Si you tuma me a kaspreadsheet to keep me occupied lest i self-destruct?

@Milo: Master, eh? (I am so walking into this one...but) So long as there's no cooching or crooning involved....

@Archer: Take up ARCHERy indeed - lakini will i or will you be doing the shooting in this case? Lol

@Baba Boi: I would love to hike. Seriously thinking about it too. When the thought crystalises in 2008, I will start thinking of buying hiking shoes in 2009, contemplate the venue in 2010....Violin nayo ni too expensive (I checked it out once - when i did the flute? Haki I am a hobby langa - yaani mpaka Lifestyle imebo!)

@Don: This is EGM, he knows. Re Archery, trust me Unyc and Archer have entirely different sports in mind!

@Abby: Now we're talking. Noooow we're talking. Kick ass...hiyaaa! Oooops! Sorry Abby - woi, pole. Not the sort of welcome I wanted to give you - coo - karibia ndani we make you feel better...

@Aco: Haki I plead innocent on all counts. 100 per-er...just to be clear, which head are we discussing here. The one between the shoulder blades ama between the hipbones?

@Mrs. Aegeus, Mistress 1 and Concubine: Hebu you stop zubaing while your kanyau does what he knows best, straying. Come collect him!(Aegy? tsk tsk tsk...Aeeeegyyyy, puss, puss, puss, here kitty, kitty, kitty...)

Ichiena said...

@Gish: Now, how did you sneak in? That support group - make that Dairyland Rainbow with chocolate chip cookie or chocolate cake (Wanja, you feel me?) and I'm in. Can I pick who I will be licking it off though? Any takers? Mhmmm??

egm said...

Ha, so now if I kuja, where will be your new hang joint that I'll be bound to find you? Hehe, hiyo flute, all I know is, "And this one time, at band camp, I stuck a flute..."

Ichiena said...

@Excessively Gifted Man (wink, wink): Me thinks it should be more in the lines of, "who will be my new hang..."

ati "I stuck a flute..." lol, kijana kumbe you were pitisharing som'ing som'ing in those Trust cartons ulibeba - and here I thought you were spreading safe sex...

Anonymous said...

Ichiena, when italked about drinking, i meant sloshing. drinkingwater can never be a hobby but drinking liquor can.u can still take the 8 glasses of water a day to hydrate your body during the drinking hobby.

Chatterly said...

About hobbies: start knitting, or sewing, or embroidery - you need to concentrate on that so you ka-foot won't have time to dangle outside the bilaz train.
How about soap carving?
That woman on a boat...LOL!

Ichiena said...

@Bomseh: I know, was pulling your leg. Lakini Keroro na Ichiena ni kama maji na mauta. We dont mix at all.

@Chatterly: Would you believe i have done knitting and sewing! Used to be a member of this club where we made fur animals from wool - where do I get the time. Now, embroidery and soap carving....mhmm

Anonymous said...

Finally I come over to visit (I think we 'know' each other sufficiently for me to be doling out advice like a passerby in town:) You could take up the violin...I understand it's quite difficult to master as an adult...should keep you busy for a long enough...or frustrate you enough forcing you to expend energy on busting up the thing...just a thought...

WanjaKihii the tomboy said...

Sweetie am still soo cracked up tears are still streaming down my cheeks...Yes we can do a death-by-chocolate. The only other thing as sinful is the bad boy with sexy bloodshot eyes.....heheheheheheheheheh

Ichiena said...

@Wambui: Decision's been made. I will take up serious swimming - si tu kufloat on shallow end!

@Wanja: I will hold you up to that death by chocolate I tell you. Of course if you can deliver Argh to my arms......

Dermapen said...

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article post.I like to write a little comment to support you.