Thursday, November 16, 2006

Does it really matter?

I read Archer's post earlier and the part on jualas took me down memory lane.

Buying contraceptives - the female perspective.

Scenario 1: After an afternoon in the pool, the gals are in the changing room and someone notices that another has a scar under her left arm. She claims its Nairobi fly - what happened to those things. We later realised that it was the scar left by a norplant (Sp?).

Scenario 2: I remember back in the days I would be walking along a relatively busy street somewhere in Nairobi with a pal, we are chatting amiably as we go along and suddenly I would realise I was talking to myself. My pal would have disappeared into a chemist and by the time I joined them at the counter they would be getting their change and whatever it is they ordered would be in their bags. It took me a while to catch on that they were buying contraceptives - actually several monthly soujourns before the light bulb flashed (thick!).

Scenario 3: This same pal (she had an active sex life) later narrated an interesting experience. (This after she realised the cloak and dagger stunts were lost on me). She went to this chemist to buy supplies and it took her one hour, the end of which she came out with nothing. Apparently, the pharmacist took it upon herself to offer free sex education, lectured her on adultery, fornication, pregnancy, STDs and would up by saying she cannot honestly sell contraceptives to someone who's still so young and not married. Suffice it to say my pal listened patiently, walked out and changed pharmacists that very day. Life goes on.

Conclusion: Ichiena (a) has lived a sheltered life on Venus (b) is as thick as two planks (c) is a hermaphrodite (d) all of the above.

But point, or the question, is, why all the hiding, secrecy, intrigue? We are in the 21st century after all. Does it matter what you are doing with your sex life? Are we embarrassed, ashamed, scared, secretive and if so, why? Yet again, how many people come out and shout "I'm a virgin!" - it's actually a no no to say it. Everyone looks at you like you have grown another head, you are an oddity or you are the world's biggest liar. And bottom line, does it really matter?

I need to go sleep.

Night.

PS: My editing tools have still not resurfaced. I only have bold, italics, link and insert photo. Somebody. Help. Me?

*****************************
THE PHONE BILL

The phone bill was exceptionally high and the man of the house called a family meeting.

Dad: People! This is unacceptable. You have to limit the use of the phone. I do not use this phone, I use the one at the office.

Mum: Same here, I hardly use this home telephone as I use my work telephone

Son: Me too, I never use the home phone. I always use my company mobile

Maid: So what is the problem? We all use our work telephones

6 comments:

Juju said...

even tho we are in the 20th C, we still grew up in our parent's time, and sex has been an all-time taboo.

akiey said...

Seems folks can freely discuss near-anything but matters dealing with sexuality or even sexual health for that matter, why? I've yet to understand.

LOL @ your friend doing the vanishing girl stunt on you to go get 'ceptives...strangers on the sidewalk must have thought you'd lost your mind talking to yourself.

Funny one about the (work) phone...

Anonymous said...

Being a virgin in this day and age is a badge of honour and be worn proudly.

Cloak and dagger about sex, with time we are dispelling the taboo and sex is discussed more openly. My opinion.

Which browser are you using? Some are not compatible with blogger. Firefox should give you full editing capability.

LOL at the phone bill.

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Loved the phone joke.

Princess said...

I have a hotttttt male buddy who is 31 and a proud virgin. That joke was too funny!!

Prousette said...

If I started to tell you the contra-capades(just invented a new word yaay!!)I have had it would take a long while.
Like the day a supermarket attendant could not stop staring at me for a whole 30 mins just cos i put CDs in my trolley. Kwani si they put them there to be bought? Shida ni nini?

I think my buddies have styled up nowadays becoming women while at it.